Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Rejection and COVID19


Our hospital room with a view.  They are still running a lot of tests on Benjamin.  His biopsy they did yesterday came back good.  No sign of rejection in the small intestine.  He is still having a problem with his temperature.  He will have a high fever and then it goes away and then it comes back again.  He is also having pain in his lower back and the headaches.  They are trying to figure out if the headaches, lower back pain and fevers are related.

Lincoln arrives in Cleveland tonight and I am supposed to go home to Utah tomorrow. It’s hard for me to decide what to do.  They wont let visitors stay the night with Ben because of the rising COVID threat.  Lincoln thinks I should go home as planned because he feels I need a break from the caregiver role.  I of course am torn, I really want to go home and see my girls and grand babies.  Travel right now is a little risky and I worry  I will be in Utah and will be needed here in Ohio.  Lincoln says if that’s the case I can hop a plane back at any moment.  So it seems as if Dad will be the support here for the next 2 weeks and I will go home to Utah for a visit. 

The doctors are leaning towards Benjamins symptoms being a possible rejection episode. When they first told me this I had a minor freak out.  Rejection is a very scary word.  We have been under the impression that rejection is always really bad!  The doctor told me today, that almost all patients reject in some form or another at one time or another.  He asked if this was Bens first rejection episode.  I said, well he was only home from the hospital for 2 weeks.  He assured me they would be able to adjust his meds and figure it out.  

Ben and I decided that we would really like him to receive a priesthood blessing.  A few members of our stake are Doctors here in the Cleveland Clinic and one is even a member of our ward.  His wife Emily Keller has told me often if we need anything to reach out.  So I called her and asked if she thought her husband could track the other member down and come administer to Ben?  She called me back and said her husband would come to Bens room as soon as he could.  About an hour later the full time missionaries that serve in the Singles ward came into Bens room.  They told us they were there to give Ben a blessing.  They told me it was an interesting story on how they came to be there.  

The missionaries had been at a district meeting in a town south of here and on their way home to their apartment felt like they should pop by the Cleveland Clinic to check on someone.  While they were finding their way to this persons room they rounded a corner and ran into Brother Keller. He told them it was great that he ran into them and said that Benjamin was in the hospital and in need of a blessing but he was having a hard time tracking down someone to help him.  Could the missionaries go up and administer to Ben. The missionaries felt like they had been guided to the Cleveland Clinic on an errand so that they would be available to come give Ben a blessing.  I too felt so much gratitude for the prompting they had to make a stop at the hospital right when we needed them.  They gave him a beautiful much needed blessing.

I really have to dig deep and rely on my faith.  Heavenly Father has brought us this far, I have to remain strong in my knowledge that he has a plan for Ben and to be patient.  I also have to remember that his plan is not always my plan, and that is sometimes easier said than done. 

Ben continues to remain positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment