Tuesday, December 25, 2018

The Farthest Christmas From Home


Written By: Ben


Well, it has been a really long time since I have posted on this blog... I feel really bad, but I have been having a hard time knowing what to write or even what to write about. I was given the advice to be really open on this blog, which at times is very easy, and other times, very difficult. So we are going to give it a run. 
I will talk about the past few months in small pieces in the next few posts most likely instead of making one freakishly long post. 

A while back when my Dad was here the last time, (back in October) he and I found a place here in Ohio called Headlands State Park. Ever since my Dad and I found this place I have loved going there and just enjoying the massive lake and all the sights and sounds that come with it. I have discovered that it is a place that I can go and just let my mind wander, to really just think, which although at times may be dangerous, helps me to clear my head and keep cool so to speak. You have already seen some picture of this place, but I will include some in this post and I am sure in future posts as well.

I am hoping that this will be a short post, but we will just see as I go. Firstly this is the farthest from home I have ever been during Christmas; now I know it isn't that far, but to me, at times it feels like forever away. I had the opportunity to video chat with my family in the morning while we all opened presents, it was truly an amazing blessing. I watched The Little Man (Oliver my nephew) storm into the living room and make a B-line for a big rocking moose that his parents had Santa bring him after he found it in a store. I laughed as he went up and pet it like a real creature and then with the help of parents proceeded to hop on it and just enjoy it to its fullest. I absolutely love that little tyke with all of his crazy antics and adventures. It has been rewarding and painful to watch him grow up through a video camera. After the Little Man enjoyed his moose we started opening gifts and enjoying the morning together. I am truly spoiled every moment by my sweet family and all of those who care about me. I have watched people who have little, give a lot, and those who need support, give support to me and my family. I doubt I will ever be able to express the gratitude and love I feel for these people, whether they be coworkers of my Father, friends of the family, relatives, or folks I hardly know. I know it isn't much, but I wanted to tell you thank you from the bottom of my heart, I know you ask for nothing in return, but if I could I would give it all back a hundred fold. For now though a sincere and tear filled thank you is all I can offer. These past few months have been some of the hardest and most blessed of my entire life, and that is due to all of you amazing people.

Christmas is almost over, and for once in quite a while I am not in the hospital over the holidays!! (hopefully I didn't just shoot myself in the foot by saying that). 

As one of the last things I would like to say in this post I am going to speak of one of my dearest friends, and yet I have never met him in person. We think of the Prince of Peace often during this time of year for a wide variety of reasons. The Savior of the World, even Jesus Christ has been a dear friend to me for as long as I can remember, even if I didn't recognize it at the time. I know He lives and that He loves each of us more than we could ever imagine. I have been fortunate in my life to be able to grow a very close and personal relationship with the Savior, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It is truly an amazing benefit of my challenges, because without them I doubt I would know my Savior like I do. I hope that you can develop a deeper relationship with your Savior, I am constantly trying to better my relationship with Him and my Heavenly Father. I testify of the Saviors humble birth those many years ago, His ministry on Earth, His Atonement, and His ongoing love for each of us. I am so imperfect and lost sometimes, but He has always been there for me just as He is for you. 
   



Here is a picture of myself at Headlands State Park. This is out on the sea wall barrier thing where a huge tree had been thrown up onto the rocks.

I have had the amazing opportunity over the last ten days or so to have my cousin Calin here with me. He is such an amazing example to me, and even though he is three years younger than me I look up to him in a lot of ways (except height). We have always been adventure buddies and the greatest of friends. We have gotten into trouble together more times than I can count, laughed harder than I thought possible, cried more than two grown men should, and been together for 21 plus years. We had the opportunity to see many sights here in Ohio, and to talk late into the night about memories, girls, trials, and indeed life in general. He has helped make these days all worth it. One of the notable accomplishments and adventures we had these last few days was watching all three of the extended additions of The Lord of The Rings, which is around 13 hours of movie! What can I say, they are some of the best movies of all time, and I will admit it, even if it brands me as a massive nerd.

 I have two cousins I am extremely close to, one is Calin (right) and the other is a hoodlum on my moms side of the family named Alex (left). I would be lost without the two of them, and I would have lived a lot less without them. They are some of my greatest role models and examples. I could never express the bond with or gratitude I have with both of these amazing hooligans.

1 comment:

  1. A really great post. A beautiful testimony. Love you lots, Ben. You are a living inspiration and incredibly humble. Stay strong! ❤️

    ReplyDelete