Friday, March 22, 2019

Mama, Mommy, Mom, Mother.


Written by: Ben

I will give a quick update before I get to the real meat of what I wanted to post about. My health has been a tad finicky the last little while, I had to start a regiment of anti-biotics for bacteria overgrowth. (This is basically when the "normal" gut flora or organisms in your gut grow at a rate at which my bowels are not able to handle. It causes distention, pain, nausea, and a decline in appetite to name just a few symptoms). All of this combined with a few other things make it more difficult to do what I enjoy. There has been some warm days, which have luckily coincided with my "good" days of health. So even though the "good" days are fewer than usual I have still been able to get out and use them to the best of my abilities. Otherwise life is going pretty stinkin good, just kicking it and doing my best to remain patient while waiting for transplant.

I had the opportunity this week to help a young lady whom I have never met or been acquainted with. My Nursing Coordinator called and asked if I would be willing to help a young lady she had just met and who was going through the first few appointments required by the team at the Clinic for transplant evaluation. Permission was given for us to speak over the phone, so I gave the young lady a call. (We will call her R since I don't know her all that well).

 R is a young college student in the Chicago area who has some digestive issues that have similarities to mine. I gave her a call a few days back and was greeted by a very bubbly and chipper sounding young lady who was a tad confused why a Utah number had called her phone. I explained who I was and asked if I could help in any way. She then asked a series of questions that brought back a mixture of minor depression, shock, anxiety and laughter. I could hear the fear in R's voice, and how she was searching for any kind of comfort from a stranger whom she had never met or even seen a picture of. My heart went out to this poor girl. We discussed some hard topics like survival rates, the difficulties of moving ones life, dealing with tests and docs, and a myriad of other questions and topics. R seemed to handle all of my responses well, although I could tell she was trying her best to sound strong. I was reminded of all the hard days, all the heart wrenching realities and possibilities that come with this process and others like it. I wanted to be next to R, to pull someone I have never met close and to tell her that it will all be alright, that the hard days end, the world still turns, and that despite all the difficulties, sadness, hopelessness, and heartbreaks, it will all be okay. I was in R's shoes just a few months back and even though I had amazing support all around (which I will get to in a sec) it would have been spectacular to talk to someone who was in the thick of it so to speak. So I was honored to be able to provide someone with at least a tiny bit of comfort that I was not able to have myself. 

Now onto what I actually wanted to write this post about: My sweet Mother! A fun story to start it all off. A few years/lifetimes ago I was fresh off my mission and going to school for the first semester since being back. I was walking out of the building and needed to call my Mom for something, now in my defense my mom is one of the best people on the planet and in a very child like and teasing way I affectionately had her as Mommy in my phone. So being all hip and new to the advancements of technology I whip out my trusty new I-Phone 6 (which is still my current phone) and use Siri to call my mom. So I hold the home button down and say "call Mommy", now the phone has a slight delay as it understands and interprets my voice into a command and gets ready to fulfill my desire. While my phone is doing that, I walk by a bunch of parked cars. Whilst next to one, what I can only describe as an embodiment of all that is gorgeous and wonderful in the world steps out and turns to look at me. Her loosely curled locks of gold brown hair bouncing slightly as she hops out of the car and flashes a brilliantly beautiful smile in my direction. I of course respond with trying not to run into the nearest stationary object, and all the while attempting to make walking look like an Olympic sport. So I muster up a cute and albeit doofy smile to try and impress this goddess of a woman that has been sent to make my day even more spectacular, or so I thought. Right at that exact moment Siri chimes in notifying me that she was going to complete the task I had asked of her and decides to repeat it back to me. With an astonishing volume that has never again presented itself my phone basically screams "Calling Mommy!" In an instant all of my hopes were dashed against the rocks of my childish ways as the gorgeous female bursts into laughter at my phones declaration. To top it off I realize I am now next to my car which sadly was more of a chick car than an impressive set of wheels. As I get into my car I lose the last bit of dignity I had and forcefully place my forehead against the steering wheel of my car; turning my head slightly to watch the beautiful female walk into the building.

Okay enough of the embarrassing stories. My Mom is perhaps one of the greatest human beings to ever grace this world with her presence. I could go on for hours and never even get past the basics of why my mom is so amazing. I will attempt to name a few: She is the biggest mama bear of all time, she loves all those she comes in contact with (unless it is when she is behind the wheel), she moved from all she has known and loved to be with her sick and terrified child, she has helped build not one but two homes centered on the Savior, she makes me laugh and smile on a daily basis, she drives me up the wall at times, she never gives up on me or any member of her family, she cries during almost any kids movie (in fact she has the biggest and softest heart of just about anyone I know), and she has been one of the greatest examples of pointing others towards their Heavenly Home and Savior that I have ever seen.

I am beyond blessed to have a the best mother in the world (according to my completely unbiased opinion)

She has taught be to love openly, cry gracefully, laugh uncontrollably, smile unceasingly, and give wholeheartedly.

Today my mom turns 50! I can't believe it, and I hope she is having a party at home with the girls. (My parents swapped places a few days back so my mom could be home for a little while). So naturally here are a few pictures of the last few years and some of the adventures I have had with my mom. (I wanted to post old photos, but sadly I do not have access to any of them).
       





My Mom and I try to get out every once in a while and enjoy the beautiful things that are around us.

Mom loves all the missionaries out here. She continues to be a blessing in as many of their lives as she can. She especially loves all of the sight sisters and that makes them some of the luckiest missionaries on the planet. 
Mom is going to kill me for some of these pictures. We got to experience out first major league baseball game together. 
Ever since I was little we would go to Nicklecade or any other form of arcade/fair. At which my Mom would love to play Ski-ball. I am pretty sure I can beat her now, even though she will battle me on that point of discussion.  
Plus my Mom is freaking gorgeous!

My Mother has always made the gospel a priority not only in the home, but in the lives of all of us children. 
I think this Calvin and Hobbes comic describes one of the many ways my mom and I interact.
She has been there for all the ups and downs, which in my family has been some serious altitude changes in both directions. (fun fact: Mom hates heights, I would post some fun videos if I knew how).

This picture captures my parents relationship in a nutshell. I could not be more blessed.

I am sure there are days that I drive my mom crazy with all of my shenanigans. Yet she handles everything thrown at her with such poise and grace that it takes my breath away. Even though she is terrified of heights, hates spiders and really most creepy crawlies, screams and gets scared way too easy, has road rage, nags me to clean way too often, favors the grandchild over her own son, forgets that she has three children, loves the Bachelor, drinks way too much Coke Zero, binge watches better than anyone I know, and is an emotional mess at times, she is the best Mother any child could ever wish for. Love you Mommy!!

P.S. I apologize if my grammar is not super great, my principle editor (my Mom) is not available to proof-read this post.

3 comments:

  1. You two make a great team. I stand all amazed. You are a great example of Christ like love and serve. We love calling you friend. See you at conference. Keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post. Your mom is amazing! We all miss you back home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. Love hearing how you're doing!

    ReplyDelete